Thursday, July 29, 2010

Zombie Street: Part 6

I took a quick look outside to the deck and saw nothing out of the ordinary.  “Let’s take a seat at the table” I said, “we need an escape plan.”  Quinn cleared the table with a big sweeping motion, sending newspapers and place mats flying, clearing frustrations that had been building.  From where I was sitting, I could see out onto the deck in front of me and to my right, down the hallway, I could see the front door.  There was blood all over the place and I quickly discounted it as a viable escape route.  Quinn was standing to my left, looking out the window.  “Fuuuuuck” he mumbled.  “What is it?” I questioned.  “Well, I see people wandering around down there and who knows how many are in the forest?” he replied.  I made a mental note of weaponry: sword, frying pan, bat, wasp spray, eh, never mind the wasp spray.  “I think that if we think too much about a plan, we won’t be able to escape in time “Quinn muttered.  “Do we have to leave?  Wouldn’t more zombies be in here by now if they knew we were here?” I proposed.  With our luck, I saw something move outside on the deck.  It was bobbing up and down and I realized it was a head, bouncing as it walked up the stairs in a slow, stilted climb.  “Fuck It” Quinn stated, “let’s do this shit!”  With that, he grabbed his sword and opened the door to the deck.

Quinn resembled Tom Cruise in “The Last Samurai”, he had a fire in his eyes and it seemed to grow as he cut through the first zombie and then the second that had started to venture up the steps.  I kept my Louisville Slugger and followed after him, with no need to swing.  Quinn stopped when he got to the bottom of the stairs and I followed his gaze.  All over the lawn were zombie men, women, and even, zombie children.  Their eyes looked dull and lifeless in the moonlight.  The sight was beyond fucked up.  I don’t think an escape plan would have worked, because we hadn’t anticipated so many zombies.  Quinn turned to me and said, “Best bring your A-game.”  With that curt phrase, he took off towards the zombies.  I personally would have liked to avoid them, darting in and out like Jahvid Best.  I had never seen Quinn moved like he did, running towards the zombies while slashing whatever he could.  There were heads and arms creating a trail of destruction.  If you were to come back later, you could have retraced Quinn’s warpath.  For the zombies that were still alive, I would swing at their heads to stop them dead for their 2nd miserable life.  Quinn reached the front of the house, stopping by a basketball hoop, obviously catching his breath since he had his hands on his knees and he was breathing heavy.  I caught up to him and we re-assessed the scene.  We had two options, try running through the forest to get back on the street or run up the dark pavement.  Since both options were going to be uphill, we decided to stay on the pavement even though there were several zombies awaiting us.  “Let’s stop running” I told Quinn, “we won’t make it very far at this pace.”  Quinn nodded his head while breathing through his mouth.  I knew that I was going to have to take a lot of these zombies on first so Quinn could recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment