Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Co-ed Softball: the Final Game of the Season

You know, I won't be posting too many blogs about my softball games on here, but this story has to be told.  This game almost didn't happen.  We were given a change in our schedule last week saying we had to work until 7 pm every night, and we had a 7 pm game.  The whole office was in an uproar over this, but I am manager, and solved the problem.  I take pride in the fact that I have the calmest of heads.  Back to the game, we were playing the 56ers, not sure what that means, if someone knows please comment.  They had beat us last time with a walk-off triple from one of their girls.  It was quite embarrassing, but I had a feeling we could at least compete with them in the final game.  We were the home team so we took the field first, which we prefer because then we always have a shot at batting last.  Well, I won't go into too much detail, but we gave up 12 runs in the first inning which led to an attitude of, "no way we're coming back."  It also led to me being warned for swearing which I tend to do when i'm angry.

When we got up to bat, Joel Hodges, hit a double somewhere out there, I don't really watch too much of other people's hits.  Our girl got out, so Graham 'Super Ripken' Branson had to go out there to bring this team back.  I usually try to put the ball into the opposite field but lately I've gone with a swing towards left.  That's what I did this time and the ball was going, going, off the girl's glove!  I ran around the bases, got to third, Mark held me there but I saw the relay drop the ball, and ran home for the HOME RUN!  It was pretty sweet, that was the first time Serena has seen me hit one.  A couple of batters later Peter Kelly hit a home run too, these are inside the park varieties, to bring the score to 12-3 I believe.  Let's fast forward to the end.

In co-ed softball, if a man walks, he gets to go to second.  If there are 2 outs and a man walks, the girl behind him can go to first.  This is key see.  We were down 17-6 in the final inning, and we score on average, maybe 8 runs per game.  Our main strategy, one that sucks for the other team, is to walk if we don't have a good pitch.  We have a lot of beginners on our team who like to swing away, which isn't good for us.  The opposing team brought in a new pitcher for the last inning and she couldn't throw a strike to save her life.  It was awesome!  The people she didn't walk were hitting singles and doubles and we had brought the score to 17-15 when I came up to bat with the bases loaded and 2 outs.  I'm not going to lie, I was very nervous.  I had to be the good manager and lead by example.  I was not going to swing unless I really had a sweet pitch. If she walked me, two runs would score, and the game would be at least tied.  The count always starts at 1 ball and 1 strike.  First pitch, ball. Second pitch, ball. Third pitch.... ball!  I had just tied the game in the lamest of ways.  Regardless, we had come back, a team known for blowing most games.  Peter Kelly went up there two batters later and tried to play hero and got out, taking us to overtime.

In overtime, you get one pitch and one pitch only.  If it is a ball, you walk.  If it is a strike, you're out.  We held the opposing team to no runs, which I was able to secure with a Ripken like grab and tag of second.  Our team went up there and made it happen.  Deidra took a walk.  Mark Hull got up there and took a walk too, I think.  I'm not really sure what happened, it was a all a blur at this point, but a guy walked and we came home to score for an 18-17 victory!  It was an extreme comeback for a somewhat extreme team.  When we take the field for the summer league, the other teams should be scared because our team will learn how to hit and field by that time.  What I didn't tell you folks is that I had the worst fielding game of mine in a long time.  I shall redeem my Ripken code of conduct and not suck like that again.

2 comments: