Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Zombie Street: Part 2

            The first thing I saw was a man sleeping on a queen size bed.  At least, I thought he was sleeping.  I was a bit jittery, it could have been the fact I believed I had encountered a zombie or the fact that I was in this stranger’s house.  The air blowing out of the vent above my head gave me a slight chill.  Should I go upstairs and get Quinn, or should I just wake this guy up on my own?  I searched the room with the moonlight while standing in the doorway trying to locate a possible defense mechanism.  I found a wooden bat that was slightly cracked in the handle.  It would have to work, at least I play softball right?  I searched my pockets, hoping to find a penny or a pebble, to toss at the man.  My pockets were empty, damn debit cards and pebble less roads!  “Aheeem!” I grunted.  It was very weak, so I tried my best to clear my throat, “AHEEEEEM!”  The man startled, reached to this right, and flicked on a flashlight.  “Who are you!?!” he screamed.  The light was blinding me, but I could tell he looked at the bat in my hand, because before I could answer he requested, “What do you want? I’ll give you whatever you want.”  I began to think of the hundreds of dollars I could possibly obtain from this guy.   Instead, I told him, “I think there are zombies outside, could you help us?” He laughed.  “Who is us?” he asked.  “My brother is upstairs.” I replied.  “Actually, I’m right here; I heard some yelling so I ran down.” Quinn interjected.  “Anymore sightings up stairs?” I asked.  “I saw a couple of people walking down the street, but they chased a cat to a tree.  It looks as though they don’t know what to do next.”  The man interrupted, “you two are crazy, if I show you that these people are fine, will you please leave my house?”  We followed him upstairs.

            The man looked out the window and saw about twelve people gathered around the base of the tree, trying to get to the feline.  “You know what, I think I’ll call the police instead guys.” the man told us.  Quinn and I looked at each other, both thinking that the police weren’t going to be able to help us in this situation.  “Do you have any weapons in the house?” Quinn asked.  The man thought for a second, “you know, I have been collecting war memorabilia for years, but it’s locked downstairs.”  The man went to turn the light on to the stairway below and accidentally turned on the porch light outside.  The three of us stared at each other, without saying a word, I turned the lights back off.  The man mouthed, “What the fuck?” 
I replied in a whisper, “Did you want me to keep it on?”
“I think it would have been better than switching it back off.”
“Why can’t you work the lights inside your house?”
“Shut up, both of you, they’re coming!” Quinn yelled.  We all turned and placed our faces against the cool glass.  The people from the tree plus a few extra down the street were stumbling towards us.  It looked like a mob where everyone had one broken ankle.  The man closed the curtains and tried to lock the door, but discovered we had already done it earlier.  “I think we need to split up” the man said. 

            The only experience I ever had with zombies was in movies. This wasn’t as funny as they made it seem.  The man’s suggestion that we split up seemed like the best idea at the time.  Being frazzled and scared and having soiled pants will do that to you.  We ran down the stairs to the locked room without turning the lights on.  The moon did an excellent job of keeping the room lit but the windows letting the light in made us fish in a giant fishbowl.  Thankfully, the zombies hadn’t thought of going around the back of the house yet.    The three of us were sweating despite the chilly air being pumped in from above.  I thought we were all focused on the room, but Quinn let me know that I smelled like shit. “Thanks bud, I’ll try to remember to bring an extra set of clothes next time” I replied. The two of us stood behind the man as he pushed the door open.

                                                                To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment